Churma Laddu (Wheat flour laddu)
|To make the bhakri|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk/Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For dusting)|
|For the churma|
|Ghee||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Jaggery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Poppy seeds||3 Tablespoon (Khas khas)|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Ground nuts||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Grease a baking tray and set aside.
3. Take a mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour (chapati flour), baking powder and the cardamom powder. Mix these dry ingredients well.
4. Add the melted unsalted butter, blend the butter and the flour well.
5. Gradually add milk a little at a time and knead the dough into a round ball.
6. Using a roller pin and board, roll the dough out (dusting it with the flour) into a large round bhakri.
7. Place the rolled out bhakri into the oven and bake for about 10 minutes. Take out the tray with the bhakri and flip the side and bake again for another 8 to 10 minutes at the lowest temperature, that is 170 F.
8. After its done, turn off the oven and let it sit in the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes.
9. After 15 minutes, take it out of the oven and let it cool completely.
10. Once it cools, using your hands crumble it to form very fine churma.
11. Take a pot heated to a medium temperature, add the ghee and jaggery and mix it well only for a couple of minutes till the jaggery melts. Do not over cook it.
12. To the churma, add the poppy seeds and the ghee-jaggery mixture and mix well.
13. Start making the laddus right away while the mixture is warm. Make small round laddus and lay them on a plate.
14. Serve as a dessert.
The chef shares 2 traditional methods of making churma:
Method 1: Small ball made from the bhakri dough are fried in ghee/oil, then ground into fine powder called churma.
Method 2: Thick bhakris/rotis are rolled using the dough and baked in a tava. When cooled, they are ground in a food processor to get a fine powder called churma.
2. Baking tray
Calories 265 Calories from Fat 167
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.6%
Saturated Fat 9.5 g47.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 37.8 mg12.6%
Sodium 24 mg1%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.4%
Sugars 9.5 g
Protein 4 g8.5%
Vitamin A 5.8% Vitamin C 0.12%
Calcium 12.9% Iron 9.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet