Khaman - Vateli Dal Na Khaman - Gujarati Cuisine
|Chana dal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Bengal gram)|
|Urad dal||1 Tablespoon (Split black gram)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Use as required)|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon (Use as per taste)|
|Green chili paste||1 Teaspoon (Use as per taste)|
|Plain yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Oil||4 Tablespoon, divided (4 tablespoons for the batter and 2 tablespoons for the seasoning)|
|Turmeric powder||1 Pinch|
|Chick pea flour||2 Tablespoon (gram flour)|
|Eno fruit salt||1 Teaspoon|
|For the seasoning|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Shredded coconut||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh cilantro||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
1. In a bowl take the chana dal and urad dal and add the water to it. Let it soak for 4 to 5 hours or overnight.
2. Drain the dal, reserving the water.
3. In a food processor grind the dal at the highest speed by adding water as required.
4. Once done take out the batter into a bowl. Add ginger, green chili paste, plain yogurt, 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil, turmeric powder, salt, gram flour and mix well.
5. Cover it and let it sit to ferment overnight or at least 6 to 8 hours.
6. After 6 to 8 hours, add eno fruit salt to the batter and stir vigorously for 30 seconds.
7. Meanwhile, in the steamer boil water.
8. Pour batter into a pan greased with cooking spray (a pan that would rest inside your steamer well should be used). Set the pan inside the steamer ready with boiling water.
9. Keep the temperature high and let it cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
10. Once done, remove the pan from the steamer and let the khaman cool before cutting it.
11. Take a pan and heat oil. Add mustard seeds, when they crackle, add asafoetida and the shredded coconut.
12. Add the khaman pieces and sprinkle a little bit of water. Stir gently and finally garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
13. Serve the khamam with finely chopped onions, green chilies and fine sev sprinkled on top.