Fafda - Chickpea Snack - Gujarati Cuisine
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use as required)|
|Chick pea flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Carom seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Oil||4 Tablespoon, divided|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon, divided|
|For green chilies|
|Green chilies||6 Medium, slit lengthwise|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
1. In 1/4 cup of water add 1/4 teaspoon of sanchal and salt. Mix well and set aside.
2. In a bowl of chickpea flour, add carom seeds, mix it.
3. Add oil and mix again thoroughly. Add the water and sanchal mixture and knead the dough. If more water is required, add the plain water and knead.
4. Take a heavy bottomed wide frying pan and heat it with oil for frying.
5. While the oil is getting heated up, take small portions of the dough, flatten it between your plam and the wooden board, press and drag upwards to form thin pasty layer.
6. Using a thin bladed knife scrape off the thin layer of dough and fry immediately in the hot oil til golden brown in color.
7. Drain into a paper towel to remove excess oil.
8. Take a few green chilies, slit them open in the center, sprinkle some salt and drizzle oil. Microwave them for 30 seconds.
9. Serve the fafda with the prepared green chilies and with any chutney of your choice.
Do not lay the thin layers of dough (Fafda) on any surface or plate before frying as it may get stuck. It has to be fried immediately.
An alternate option of preparing the fafda is by keeping the dough patty in between thin plastic wraps and then using a roller pin roll it very thin. Using a pizza cutter the fafada can be cut into strips and fried.
2. A knife with a thin blade