Upma (Upittu) - Indian Vegetarian
|Cumin seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Urad dal||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh curry leaves||5 Medium|
|Onions||1 Medium, slice (Optional)|
|Carrot||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Potato||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Green peas||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Corn||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Semolina/Rava||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Boiling water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Sugar||To Taste (Optional)|
|Shredded coconut||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh lime juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
1. Take a pan, heat it with oil, add cumin seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
2. When they crackle add the onion (optional), carrots, potatoes, green peas and corn. Stir and let it cook a little.
3. Meanwhile in another pot boil water.
4. When the vegetables are almost cooked, add the ginger paste, green chili paste and stir.
5. Add the semolina and stir it with the vegetables to roast it for about 4 to 5 minutes. If dry add a little bit oil into it.
6. Add salt to taste. Reduce the temperature to low heat and add the boiling water, mix for a couple of minutes. Then cover, and cook on a low heat for a few minutes.
7. Once done, sprinkle some broken cashews and raisins along with some sugar (optional), coconut and some fresh lemon juice.
8. Serve with chutney or pickle of your choice.
The rice can be shaped using a mold and served as shown in the video.