Palak Paneer or Saag Paneer (Spinach Curry)
|Onion puree||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Green chili paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato puree||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Punjabi masala||1 Teaspoon (Punjabi garam masala used)|
|Turmeric powder||1 Pinch|
|Paneer||1 Cup (16 tbs), cubed|
|Spinach leaves||4 Cup (64 tbs), pureed (2 cups of spinach puree used)|
|Cinnamon powder||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Nutmeg powder||1 Pinch|
|Butter/Heavy cream||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Cooked green peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the cilantro and fennel paste|
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely (Optional)|
|Fennel seeds||1 Tablespoon, Roasted, grounded (Optional)|
To prepare the cilantro and roasted fennel paste:
1. In a pan roast the fennel seeds and grind them.
2. In a mixer grind the roasted and ground fennel seeds with fresh cilantro leaves to give you cilantro and roasted fennel seeds paste.
3. Blanch the spinach with a little salt. In a processor puree the blanched spinach and set aside.
4. Take a pan with oil, add the onion puree/paste and saute till lightly brown in color. Then add the green chili paste, garlic paste and ginger paste and saute for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the tomato puree and the prepared cilantro and roasted fennel seeds paste and stir well.
6. Add the Punjabi garam masala, a pinch of turmeric powder and the paneer. Stir gently to coat the paneer with the masala.
7. Add the spinach (palak) puree and mix gently to combine all the ingredients.
8. Add the cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and salt to taste.
9. Add butter or heavy cream, stir, cover and let it simmer for a few minutes.
10. Add the cooked green peas and mix well.
11. Serve the palak paneer with roti, naan, paratha or plain rice.
If using frozen spinach, it needs to be steamed on low heat to blanch for a few minutes without adding water.
The paneer cubes can optionally be fried separately and added into the cooking pot.
Calories 240 Calories from Fat 183
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g31.9%
Saturated Fat 5 g24.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14.5 mg4.8%
Sodium 263 mg11%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.5%
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 7 g13.4%
Vitamin A 50.5% Vitamin C 17%
Calcium 10.5% Iron 8.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet