Bateta nu Shaak - Aaloo Sabji (Spicy Potato Hash Browns)
|Extra virgin olive oil/Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Potato||500 Gram, cubed|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground peanuts||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||To Taste (Optional)|
|Juice of lemon||1⁄2 , juiced|
|Green onions||1 Tablespoon, cut oblique (For garnishing)|
1. Take a pan, heated with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
2. When the mustard seeds crackle add the asafoetida and the cubed potatoes. Add the salt and turmeric powder and stir to mix them well.
2. Cover and cook till half done, stirring frequently. Once half cooked leave the pan open and cook for a few more minutes.
3. Add garlic powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, sesame seeds and ground peanuts. Stir to combine the potato cubes and the spices well. Add sugar (optional) and stir again.
4. Squeeze half a lemon into the cooking potatoes and stir. Let it cook in the open pan for a few more minutes.
5. Finally garnish with green onions and turn off the heat.
6. Serve warm with any Indian style bread like roti, naan, puris or the Gujrathi bhakri.
Use shredded potato if you want to make it like Hash brown. Onions and bell peppers can be added as well.
For a more healthier option, replace the potatoes with raw banana and use the same recipe to cook.