Paneer Bhurji (Part 1) - Crumbled Cottage Cheese in Rich Gravy
|Frozen peas||100 Gram|
|For the paneer|
|Oil||2 Tablespoon (For sauteing the paneer)|
|Shredded paneer||500 Gram|
|Corn flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For dusting)|
|For the cashew and bell pepper mix|
|Oil||1 Tablespoon (For sauteing the cashew nuts)|
|Cashew nuts||2 Tablespoon, broken|
|Green bell pepper||1 Medium, chopped|
|For the gravy|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato puree||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar/Regular sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Punjabi masala||1 Tablespoon (Punjabi garam masala used)|
|Red chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onions||3 Tablespoon, ground (Onions, ginger and garlic sauted in oil and ground to a paste)|
|Heavy whipping cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|For the garnish|
|Fresh cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
1. Take a bowl and dust it with some cornflour. Shred the paneer into this bowl, dusting it with corn flour at intervals.
2. Take a skillet heated with a couple of tablespoons of oil and saute the shredded paneer in it on medium heat. Keep dusting the paneer with the corn flour if they start to stick while sauteing.
3. Once the paneer is slightly brown remove from the heat and set it aside. (To be added to the dish just before serving)
4. Take a saucepan with a little oil and saute the broken cashew nuts till lightly brown in color. (Do not over brown the cashews). Once done add the chopped green bell pepper and saute for a few minutes and set aside. (To be added to the dish just before serving)
5. In another saucepan, heat some oil and add cumin seeds. When they begin to crackle, add ginger and garlic paste, tomato puree and simmer for a few minutes.
6. Add turmeric powder, punjabi garam masala, brown sugar, salt and stir gently.
7. Add red chili powder, paprika and the onion paste. Simmer for a minute.
8. Add the heavy whipping cream and stir well. Lastly add 2 tablespoons of butter.
9. Using a hand blender, blend the gravy well so that it is smooth and creamy.
10. Add the prepared paneer, cashew and bell pepper mix and a little of the green peas.
11. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or roti/paratha.
The cornflour is used for dusting the bowl with shredded paneer to avoid the paneer shreds from sticking to each other.
The paneer and the green peas should be added just before serving the dish.