Very tasty Indian Gujarati popular snack made with Fenugreek leaves.
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
Green chili paste
1 Tablespoon, crushed
1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground
1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely
Red chili powder
1 Tablespoon (or to taste)
1 Tablespoon (As required)
1 1⁄2 Medium, mashed
4 Tablespoon (3-4)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As required to make the dough)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)
1. In a mixing bowl add the gram flour and the wheat flour. Add ginger paste, green chili paste, crushed coriander seeds, salt, ground black pepper, the chopped fenugreek leaves, red chili powder, turmeric powder, sugar and the mashed banana.
2. Lastly add the vegetable oil and start mixing all the ingredients to form a soft and smooth dough. Add a pinch of asafoetida and continue mixing.
3. Use water as required while mixing the Khalwa dough.
4. Once the dough is mixed and ready at the desired consistency, keep it aside for about 60 to 90 minutes.
5. Heat a pan with a couple of inches of oil to high heat and drop small dollops of the prepared batter into the oil and fry. The oil can now be reduced to a medium.
6. Fry the khalwa till they puff up and turn golden brown in color. Drain into a paper towel to remove the excess oil.