Tender Banana Stem Poriyal
|Banana stem||12 Inch (1 Slim Piece)|
|Coconut||1⁄2 , grated|
|Green chillies||6 , deseeded|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Crushed jaggery||1 Tablespoon|
|Curry leaves sprigs||2|
|Peanut oil||1 Tablespoon|
• Cut the banana stem into fine julienne strips and wash them and soak them in the buttermilk for 1 hour.
• Place 1/2 a cup of oil in a vessel and place on a medium heat. Add the curry leaves and mustard seeds and allow the seeds to crackle. Then, add the asafoetida and the ground masala and fry it over a low heat for 3 minutes.
• Squeeze the banana stem pieces between both your hands and add them to the masala. Stir for 3 minutes and add 1 1/2 cup of water and allow to simrner for 10 minutes. Add salt and mix well and add the crushed jaggery.
• If it is necessary, add a little more water. The stem pieces should become tender.
• Serve with rice, curds and pickle.