Indian Aloo Dum
|Russet potatoes||4 Medium|
|Cumin seed||1 Teaspoon (Jeera)|
|Asafoetida||1⁄8 Teaspoon (Hing)|
|Gram flour||1 Tablespoon (Besan)|
|Whole red chili||6|
|Yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Coconut powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Green chili||1 (Or Adjust To Taste)|
|Coriander powder||1 Tablespoon (Dhania Powder)|
|Fennel seed powder||1 Tablespoon (Saunf Powder)|
|Turmeric||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Haldi)|
|Red chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Or Adjust To Taste)|
|Paprika||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Degi Or Kashmiri Mirch)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Or Adjust To Taste)|
|Garam masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped cilantro||2 Tablespoon|
|Oil||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (For Frying)|
1. Peeled and cut the potatoes into ½” cubes.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Frying pan should have at least 1inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put one piece of potato in the oil. The potato should sizzle right away. If potatoes are fried on low heat they will be very oily.
3. Fry the potatoes till they are cooked through; turn the potatoes few times while frying.
4. Take out potatoes with a slotted spoon as it removes the excess oil and drip back into the frying pan; place on a paper towel and keep aside.
5. Heat the pan on medium heat and stir-fry the sesame seeds for about 1 minute until seeds lightly change color; take them out and keep aside.
6. Blend sesame seeds, coconut, ginger, green chili, and make it into a paste; use water as needed to blend into paste.
7. In a small bowl mix together the sesame paste, yogurt, coriander powder, funnels seed powder, paprika, red chili powder, and turmeric into a paste; keep aside.
8. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
9. Add the cumin asafetida and cumin seeds. After the cumin seeds crack, add whole red chili and besan (gram flour). Stir-fry for about half a minute until the besan (gram flour) is golden-brown.
10. Add the spice paste and stir-fry for about 2 minutes on medium heat until the spices starts to separate from the oil.
11. Add the potatoes, mix it well and add about 1cup of water. After the gravy boils, let it cook on low-medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Adjust the water in gravy to your liking.
12. Add the cilantro and garam masala cover the pan and turn off the heat. Let it sit for few minutes before taking of the cover; this helps bringing the color on the top of the dish.
13. Serve with any Indian bread.
Calories 933 Calories from Fat 759
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 86 g132.6%
Saturated Fat 13.2 g65.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.8 mg0.6%
Sodium 535.8 mg22.3%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13.1%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.5%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 8 g15.2%
Vitamin A 21.7% Vitamin C 68.2%
Calcium 17.6% Iron 27.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet