Kappa Puttu is a delicious breakfast item which you can make without any advanced preparation. The very first taste of this tasty puttu from Indian cuisine is enough to addict you to it for life.
1 Cup (16 tbs), crust removed, washed, grated
1. In a plate, place tapicoa, grated coconut(3/4 cup) and salt, mix well.
2. Pour water in a pressure cooker and cover with lid, wait until steam is generated.
3. In a small bowl, fill the prepared mixture, add some more coconut(1 tablespoon), place it over the pressure cooker.
4. After about 3 minutes, when the steam generated, cover the bowl with a lid, and wait for few seconds.
5. On a banana leaf, gently empty the content of the bowl, top with more coconut if desired.
Tapioca is called kappa in Malayalam and is very popular and an all time favorite of Keralites. This recipe of Kappa Puttu is a traditional Kerala breakfast item and a rather unique recipe of cooking Tapioca. Kappa Puttu is made by adding grated coconut to kappa (tapioca) and steaming for a few minutes. For those of you who have not tried and tasted it, try this recipe, it’s not only delicious but healthy too.