|Green gram||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chilly||1 , medium diced|
|Garlic||2 , finely diced or crushed|
|Shallots||2 , finely diced|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Crushed black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shredded coconut||2 Tablespoon|
1. Wash and soak the green gram for about 30 mins. Soaking helps cook the dal easier.
2. Pressure cook the green gram with 1 cup of water for about 20 mins in a medium flame and then switch of the flame. Let it sit in the pressure cooker for about 15 mins and do the rest of the cooking.
3. In a hot pan, pour oil, add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
4. Add garlic and shallots and sauté for about 1 min.
5. Add the chilly and curry leaves and sauté for 30 sec.
6. Add the cooked green gram, then the coconut and finally the salt and pepper. Stir everything together for about 1-2 mins and then switch off the flame.
Serve hot with porridge or kanji...