|Idly rice||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Rice||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Urad dal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Methi seed||1 Teaspoon|
* To make idly batter :
* Soak the idly rice and the urad dal+methi seeds separately for 2 hrs.
* Grind the dal first in grinder to a nice foamy batter with water as needed. Remove it in a big container. Add 2 tsp salt to it.
* Then grind the soaked rice with water as needed to a fine batter.
* Now mix both the grind urad dal and rice together.
* The batter should be like a pancake batter consistency, If the batter is watery then when you do idlis they won't come properly.
* Mix the batter nicely and leave it to ferment and puff, overnight so that the batter will be ready for doing idlies the next day.
* After the batter is fermented and raised mix it again and keep it in fridge.
* Take it out an hour before doing idly. Keep the idly vessel or pressure cooker with 2 cups water in it and heat.
* Grease the idly tray with a drop of oil and rub it and pour a certain amount of the batter in them and keep it in the cooker and steam cook it without whistle for 10-12 mins.
* Open the lid after steam is gone, let it warm a bit and remove the idly carefully.
* Serve hot with onion chutney, sambaar or any type of chutney.
* The idly batter can be kept in fridge and used for about 10 days.
* The same batter can be used to make dosai's too.
Calories 680 Calories from Fat 6
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.71 g1.1%
Saturated Fat 0.2 g0.99%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 399.4 mg16.6%
Total Carbohydrates 145 g48.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.4%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 16 g32.3%
Vitamin A 5.4% Vitamin C 0.03%
Calcium 12% Iron 18.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet