|Rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter/Ghee||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped blanched almonds||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped blanched raisins||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped blanched pistachios||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped blanched cashew nuts||2 Tablespoon|
|Saffron||1⁄8 Teaspoon, soaked in milk|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Kewra water||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a heavy-bottomed pan boil 2 cups of water and add the saffron.
2. Now add rice which has "been soaked in water for an hour.
3. Half cook and strain.
4. Make a syrup with sugar and a cup of water.
5. In the pan melt butter or ghee, add whole cloves and slightly crushed cardamoms.
6. Add sugar syrup and cook for a little while.
7. Put in the rice and cook covered with a well fitted lid, till the butter and sugar have been soaked fully into the rice.
8. Add lemon juice and half of the nuts and raisins and cook on a good fire for about 10 minutes and then on a slow fire for another 10 minutes.
9. Soak the remainder of the saffron in milk and lastly sprinkle on to the cooked zarda along with a few drops of kewra and orange colouring.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3427 Calories from Fat 1571
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 181 g278.2%
Saturated Fat 92.4 g461.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 362.9 mg121%
Sodium 59.4 mg2.5%
Total Carbohydrates 427 g142.2%
Dietary Fiber 13.7 g54.9%
Sugars 174.3 g
Protein 41 g82.6%
Vitamin A 87.9% Vitamin C 31.1%
Calcium 26.5% Iron 44.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet