Cauliflower Chicken Korma
|Ghee||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Clarified Butter, divided into 1 + 3 Tablespoon)|
|Boneless chicken||250 Gram, diced|
|Cauliflower florets||250 Gram|
|Cashew nuts||100 Gram|
|Onions||2 Large, pureed|
|Green chillies||2 , ground to a paste|
|Ginger paste||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic paste||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Green cardamoms||2 Small (Masala:)|
|Cardamom||1 Large (Masala:)|
|Fresh ground pepper||1 Teaspoon (Masala:)|
|Star anise||2 (Masala:)|
|Cinnamon||1 Inch (Masala:)|
|Bay leaf||1 (Masala:)|
1. Grind all the ingredients mentioned above under ‘masala’, except the pepper and the bay leaf, into a fine powder
2. Grind the cashew nuts, till its a rough powder. Don’t overdo it, else it becomes clumpy due to the oil it contains
3. Heat some ghee [clarified butter] in a pan
4. On high heat, stir fry the pieces of chicken till they’re golden brown. Reserve.
5. Heat a little more ghee [about 3 tbsp]
6. Add the masala powder, pepper and the bay leaf.
7. Stir for about 5 seconds.
8. Add the onion puree. Stir and fry well for 2 minutes.
9. Add the green chilli paste, ground cashew nuts, garlic paste and ginger paste.
10. Stir constantly and fry on a low flame for about 5 minutes.
11. Add the cauliflower florets. Stir so the mixture coats all of them.
12. Stir for a minute.
13. Add the chicken - stir for a minute.
14. Add about 2 cups of water and cooker covered for 15 minutes, or till the cauliflower is tender [not soggy] and the chicken is done. Do not pre-blanch the cauliflower for this one.
15. Remember to replenish the water if the gravy gets too thick. It should be thick enough to coat your finger well, but no more and no less.
Note: For a vegetarian version, leave out the chicken and add carrots, beans and diced potatoes. Adjust cooking time accordingly.
Serve with hot rotis or naans.
Calories 384 Calories from Fat 232
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.7%
Saturated Fat 10.4 g52.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 82.3 mg27.4%
Sodium 141.5 mg5.9%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.8%
Sugars 6.4 g
Protein 17 g34%
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 78.2%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 15.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet