Deep Fried Bread Pakoras
|Firm white bread slice||4|
|Gram flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Besan)|
|Rice flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Asafoetida||1 Pinch (Hing)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon (Jeera)|
|Green chilies||2 , finely chopped|
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped (Green Coriander)|
|Water||10 Tablespoon (1/2 Cup And 2 Tablespoons)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
1. Remove the crust from all sides of the bread and slice the bread lengthwise into 3 equal parts.
2. In a medium size bowl, mix togethergGram flour (besan), rice flour, asafetida, cumin seeds, and salt. Rice flour adds to the crispness of the dish.
3. Slowly add water to the mixture to form a smooth batter. (Batter should be the consistency of pancake batter or dosa batter)
4. Next, add the green chilies and cilantro and mix well.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high heat; frying pan should have at least 11/2 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put one drop of batter in the oil. The batter should come up but not change color right away.
6. Dip the bread slices in the batter one at a time and slowly drop it into the frying pan.
7. Fry the pakoras in small batches. The pakoras will take about 4 to 5 minutes to cook.
8. Turn them occasionally. Fry the pakoras until both sides are golden-brown; repeat this process for the others.
9. The crispy and delicious pakoras are served hot with cilantro chutney or tamarind chutney.
If oil is too hot pakoras will cook too fast and will not be crispy; if oil is not hot enough pakoras will be greasy. Adjust the heat as needed while cooking.
Use 1/4 cup of chopped spinach or 2 tablespoons of chopped fenugreek leaves as a substitute for the chopped cilantro.
The bread pakoras are best when dipped with a fresh cilantro chutney or tamarind chutney.
Pakoras can be made one day in advance do not refrigerate. When ready to eat, place on a cookie sheet and heat in the preheated oven on 300°F
Calories 1180 Calories from Fat 1031
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 116 g179.2%
Saturated Fat 15.1 g75.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 613.7 mg25.6%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.6%
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 7 g14.7%
Vitamin A 3.1% Vitamin C 20.8%
Calcium 2.5% Iron 11.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet