The Perfect Vegetarian Dinner For Two
|Channa dal/Split beans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (soaked overnight)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Indian squash/Snake gourd||1 Pound, blanched|
|Green chili||1 , chopped|
|Green onion||3 , chopped|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|Cumin coriander powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Red chili pepper powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Basmati rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salad greens||1 Cup (16 tbs), trimmed|
|Cottage cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Salad dressing mix||1 Tablespoon (your favorite)|
1. Soak dal in water overnight.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, put the soaked dal. Add blanched squash, green chilies and onion.
3. Cook uncovered in microwave oven for 6 minutes at high heat.
4. Cover the bowl and cook at power number 3 for 10 minutes until soft and tender. Cook more if needed.
5. Remove from the oven and add spices, cumin coriander powder, red chili pepper powder, sugar, salt, garlic and lemon juice. Mix well.
6. In a small sauce pan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them pop.
7. Transfer the hot seasoning mix to the cooked squash-dal mix. Stir well and garnish with cilantro.
8. In a rice cooker/microwave oven, cook basmati rice with water. Drain the water.
9. In a bowl, add salad greens, cottage cheese and your favorite salad dressing. Toss well.
10. Serve the Curried Squash with Basmati Rice and fresh Salad.