How To Make "Biryani" Veg/Non Veg Type a la 'Alpa'
|For the rice|
|Basmati rice||210 Gram, rinsed|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Warm milk||1 Tablespoon (To soak the strands of saffron)|
|For the potato layer|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon (As needed to saute the potatoes)|
|Potato||1 Medium, peeled, cubed|
|Spice mix||2 Tablespoon (Indian spice mix)|
|For the second vegetable layer|
|Green bell pepper/Red bell pepper||1 Medium, chopped diagonally|
|Carrot||1 Medium, chopped diagonally|
|Tomato||1 Medium, chopped|
|For the topmost layer|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Red onions||1⁄2 Medium, sliced|
|For the garnish|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped (To garnish)|
|Cashew nuts||1 Tablespoon, split (Roasted in ghee/oil)|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Tablespoon (Roasted in ghee/oil)|
1. In a small bowl, pre-soak the rice for about 20 minutes, drain and set aside.
2. Soak a couple of strands of saffron in 1 tbsp of warm milk.
3. In a large bowl, boil water on high for 6 minutes. Add the soaked and drained rice and cook for 12 minutes, stirring after 6 minutes.
4. Once done, drain through a strainer. Add the saffron soaked milk into the rice and set aside.
5. In a frying pan, heated with a couple of tbsp of oil, stir fry the potatoes with the spice mix until done. Set aside.
6. Similarly, stir fry the white onions, green bell pepper, carrot, and tomato with 2 tbsp of the Indian spice mix until done and set aside.
7. In a pan heated with oil or ghee, add cumin seeds, cardamom and sliced red onion. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
8. In a wide pot (Handi), layer the saffron-ed rice as the bottom layer. Put a layer of the spiced potatoes over the rice.
9. Follow this with another layer of rice and over the rice layer spread a layer of the carrot and bell pepper mixture.
10. Top it with another layer of rice and finally the sauteed onions as the final layer on top.
11. Sprinkle some freshly chopped cilantro, roasted cashews and raisins.
12. Cover the pot and slow cook the layered biryani on low heat for 60 minutes.
13. Serve with fried papad, salad and pickle of your choice.
Indian spice mix added consists of salt, red pepper, powdered cumin and coriander and garam masala mix.
2. Microwave oven
Calories 443 Calories from Fat 155
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.1%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.37 mg0.12%
Sodium 125.4 mg5.2%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.2 g24.7%
Sugars 6.1 g
Protein 7 g13.7%
Vitamin A 69.4% Vitamin C 78.7%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 12.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet