This is recipe for sarkkarai pongal - Rice & Lentil Pudding
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1 Teaspoon, ground
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
7 1⁄2 Cup (120 tbs) (reduced)
1 Teaspoon (for frying)
3 Cup (48 tbs)
1. Wash hands with antibacterial hand soap and water.
2. Grind cardamom into a fine powder and set aside.
3. In a large skillet over med-high heat, add moong dal, stir continuously. Add in the rice and roast until golden brown. Then set aside.
4. In a medium pan over low heat, melt vegetable ghee. Add cashew nuts, stir constantly until golden brown and set aside.
5. In a double layer rice cooker, add in the roasted rice and moong dal. Add water, cover with a lid and cook on simmer for 12-15 minutes.
6. Add ground cardamom to the rice and mix well.
7. Add unrefined sugar and mix well with the rice. Keep on simmer for 20 minutes or until thick.
8. Add in the roasted cashew nuts. Mix well and remove from heat.
9. Pour this Sakkarai Pongal into a serving bowl, and serve hot.
Want to try out some Indian delicacy, here is a traditional sweet dish popular in Southern India. Check out Kalyan getting ready to make Sakkari Pongal the traditional festive preparation of Tamil Nadu made during the harvest season. Watch the following video for the following steps.