Sweet Turnip And Carrot Pickle
|Turnips||1 1⁄4 Kilogram, peeled and scraped|
|Carrots||1 1⁄4 Kilogram, peeled and scraped|
|Red chili pepper||75 Gram|
|Ground mustard seeds||120 Gram|
|Ground cumin seed||15 Gram (White Variety)|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry dates||60 Gram|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mustard oil||250 Milliliter|
1) Soak tamarind and dry dates in separate bowls overnight.
2) Remove the seeds from tamarind, mash them and take out the pulps.
3) Remove stones from the dates and cut into long slices.
4) Fry the ground onion, ginger and garlic in hot oil and add tamarind pulp, long -sliced dates, round pieces of turnip about 1/8 inch thick, long pieces of carrots, ground spices, salt, cumin seeds, red chilli pepper and mix well.
5) Store in a clean jar, keep in the sun for 4 days and shake it every other day.
6) Make a thick syrup of jaggery with a cup of water, mix into the pickle and again keep in the sun for 6 days, shaking it once daily.