Nimbu Ka Mitha Achar
|Lemons||340 Gram (Smooth Skinned)|
|Fennel seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Cracked black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shredded jaggery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Properly wash the lemons in water; drain and make them dry under sunlight for over 5 minutes.
2) Cut each dried lemon into 8 pieces.
3) Make a smooth mixture of fennel seeds, cumin seeds, salt and black pepper.
4) Make a layer of lemons placing them cut side up in a glass jar and sprinkle with the salt spice mixture all over. Do the process until the jar is full.
5) Cook the jaggery with lemon juice over high heat until it boils; stir constantly, then lower the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
6) Cool the cooked jaggery into lukewarm and pour over the lemons in the jar. When cooled cover it with a clean cloth.
7) Place the jar in the sun for 5 weeks and shake 2 to 3 times a day to mix it up thoroughly.
8) After 5 weeks do not set it in the sun, but continue to shake it for another 2 weeks before use.