|Raw long grain rice||2 1⁄3 Cup (37.33 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Powdered saffron||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cardamom seeds||2 , shelled|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Light Or Dark)|
|Pistachios||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), unroasted|
|Blanched almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), sliced|
|Brazil nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), sliced and toasted|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped|
1. Cook the rice in six cups of boiling water with the salt and saffron until half done, about ten minutes. Use enough saffron to give a rich yellow color. Drain.
2. Boil the sugar with three and three-quarters cups water for one minute, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
3. In the bottom of a heavy four-quart Dutch oven or other large kettle, heat the butter. Add the cardamom and cloves and cook over low heat ten minutes. Add all but one-half cup of the syrup and boil one minute.
4. Add the rice to the mixture and cook, stirring gently, until the butter is absorbed, or about ten minutes.
5. Add the lemon juice, raisins and nuts. Cook over fairly high heat five minutes. Continue cooking over very low heat until the rice is tender, stirring when necessary. If the rice is not quite tender when the syrup has been absorbed, add the remaining syrup and cook over low heat until the rice is dry and soft.
6. Remove the mixture from the heat and let stand, covered, ten minutes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7129 Calories from Fat 3668
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 420 g646.2%
Saturated Fat 237.6 g1188%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1054.5 mg351.5%
Sodium 2117.4 mg88.2%
Total Carbohydrates 816 g272.1%
Dietary Fiber 20.3 g81.2%
Sugars 432.2 g
Protein 60 g120.5%
Vitamin A 243.2% Vitamin C 85.5%
Calcium 59.5% Iron 48.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet