Genoese Sponge With Vanilla Icing
|Plain flour||3 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce, melted|
|Icing sugar||8 Ounce|
|Vanilla essence||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Jam/Soft fruit||1 Tablespoon|
|Whipped cream||1⁄4 Pint|
1) Preheat oven hot to 375°F, 190°C or Gas No. 5.
2) In a bowl sift the flour twice. Place on a square of greaseproof paper and keep aside.
3) Melt the butter warm but not hot.
4) Grease two 7-inch (18-cm) sponge cake tins. Line the base with a circle of greaseproof paper.
5) In a mixing basin add eggs and sugar. Blend together.
6) Put the basin over a saucepan half filled with hot water. Beat the mixture until light.
7) Take off from heat and whisk for few minutes. Let cool.
8) Sift flour over surface.
9) With a metal spoon gently fold into the mixture. Don't beat the mixture.
10) Add warm melted butter when the flour is half folded in.
11) Whisk the mixture until ingredients are evenly mixed.
12) Fill the mixture in two prepared cake tins and spread level.
13) Keep in the center of oven and bake for 20 minutes.
14) Take off from tin and let cool.
15) In a bowl sift icing sugar.
16) Cut in butter into the saucepan and add with milk and vanilla essence.
17) Cook stirring over gentle heat until the butter has melted. Do not overheat.
18) Pour immediately into the centre of the icing sugar and mix gently.
19) Add some boiling water to thin the mixture.
20) Spoon jam or soft fruits and whipped cream within the cake layers.
21) Quickly pour icing over the top of the cake.
22) Let set before serving.