Strawberry Ice Cream And Baked Alaska - The Aubergine Chef
|Heavy cream||16 Ounce|
|Granulated sugar||3 Ounce|
|Egg yolks||10 Medium|
|Whole milk||8 Ounce|
|Left over cake bits||250 Gram|
|Strawberries||680 Gram, chopped|
|Meringue mix||300 Gram|
|For strawberry base|
|Strawberries||1 Pound, pureed and strained|
|Granulated sugar||4 Ounce|
For strawberry sauce:
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, put together strawberry puree and sugar, boil stirring continuously using spatula.
2. Cook the strawberry puree until it reaches 230 °F, or until the sauce reduces to half.
3. Take the pan off the heat and transfer the sauce to another bowl and allow to cool.
For ice cream:
4. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, whole milk and sugar.
5. In a saucepan over slow heat, place together milk, heavy cream and 3 ounce of sugar and bring to a boil.
6. As the milk boils, take the saucepan off the heat and slowly stream the milk mixture into the yolk mixture, whisking continuously.
7. Return yolk-milk mixture into the saucepan and heat over medium low heat.
8. Using a spatula or wooden spoon stir the yolk-milk mixture occasionally, until the temperature reaches to 180 °F or the mixture thickens.
9. Take the saucepan off the heat and strain yolk mixture in a bowl and place over ice bath and allow to cool to room temperature.
10. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 or 2 hours.
11. Using round mould, press the cake bits to make 6 bases and set aside.
12. Add about 7 ounces of strawberry base to the chilled yolk mixture, and whisk well to mix.
13. In the bowl of the electric mixer, pour the yolk strawberry mixture and put on the mixer at slow speed for 8 to 10 minutes or until the mixture rises.
14. After 5 minutes add chopped strawberries to the yolk strawberry mixture.
15. Fill 6 ice cream moulds with the yolk strawberry mixture and place the cake bases on top and press lightly.
16. Freeze the moulds overnight.
17. Invert the moulds over a parchment lined baking tray, and gently heat it with blowtorch.
18. Freeze the ice cream for about 30 to 40 minutes.
19. Remove the ice cream and pipe meringue to completely cover the ice cream.
20. Using blowtorch lightly brown the meringue top.
21. Place the Strawberry Ice Cream and Baked Alaska on serving plate and serve immediately.