Dave's Ice Cream Sandwich is the wicked creation of my friend, local artist David Belcourt. He's been telling me about this decadent confection for months and has been wanting to share it with you. What better way to start the new season than with the ultimate ice cream sandwich. This is serious business folks. Enjoy!
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
1 , sliced into 1-inch pieces
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), roasted and crushed
Vanilla ice cream
1 Cup (16 tbs) (4 scoops)
1. Cut the bacon into ½ inch pieces and cook in a skillet on medium heat until nice and crispy.
2. Drain the oil and then return the bacon to the pan. Add maple syrup and continue to cook until the bacon and maple syrup is combined and nicely caramelized. Transfer the caramelized pieces onto a plate and set aside.
3. In the same pan, cook the banana and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved and the bananas are slightly caramelized. Take them off the heat and set aside.
4. Put the pistachios in a small sandwich bag or in a mortar and pestle and pound them until they are nicely crushed.
5. Cut the brownies into medium sized slices. Add a scoop of ice cream on top of the brownie. Put the candied bacon chunks, followed by the bananas over the ice cream.
6. Finally, spoon on the crushed pistachios then finish with another brownie on top to make a sandwich. Gently press down to set.
7. Serve the ice cream sandwich immediately as a whole or cut into half on a dessert plate. Or refrigerate it.