This is a 101 ice cream, learn Step by step how to make ice cream to perfection. In this recipe you will learn how to make creme anglaise (vanilla stirred custard) that is the base for any flavor of ice cream. This recipe roasts the strawberries to enhance the flavor, to caramelize its sugar and to intensify the strawberry taste in the final product. Understand all the process to make this frozen treat, learn the difference between ice cream, gelato, sorbet, sherbet, spoom and granita .
Learn how to make ice cream without an ice cream maker.
1 Pound, with the stems off
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees fahrenheit.
2. In a baking tray, coat the strawberries with balsamic vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar and bake for 45 minutes.
3. In a pan, add whole milk, heavy cream and vanilla bean and bring to boil.
4. Once the mix boils, turn off the heat and cover with lid.
5. Seperate the yolks of the eggs and whisk the yolks in a bowl.
6. Add 1 cup of sugar and whisk until completely incorporated.
7. Put the milk and heavy cream mix back on low heat.
8. Ladle 2-3 spoonfuls of the milk mix a little at a time into the eggs. Be careful not to cook the egg.
9. Once the eggs have mixed with the milk, pour the entire mix back into the milk pan and stir continuously in an "8" pattern while on low heat.
10. Sift the cream mix and then keep stir over an ice bath until it is cool.
11. Next, cover the mix with saran wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours to 2 days.
12. Remove strawberries from oven and mash in a bowl.
13. Add corn syrup and mix and refrigerate.
14. Combine the cream and strawberries in a bowl and place in an ice cream maker to do its magic.
15. Freeze the mix for a few hours and then serve.
16. Scoop into bowls and serve as dessert.
You can make the ice cream without the ice cream maker by placing the mix in the freezer and stirring it every 15 minutes for 2 hours.