Toffee Fruit with instant Lychee Ice Cream
|Plain flour||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Corn flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Sesame oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Groundnut oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Bananas||2 Small, peeled, split into half lengthways, cut into 1 � inch chunks|
|Eating apple||1 Large, peeled and wedged|
|Caster sugar||6 Ounce|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned lychees in syrup||14 Ounce, drained and frozen until solid (1 Can)|
|Double cream||1⁄4 Pint|
1. In a bowl, sift the flour, cornflour and baking powder. Mix together 3 ounces water and half the sesame oil. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and gradually pour in the liquid, stirring until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a wok, heat about 1 ½ inches of the groundnut oil and the remaining sesame oil.
3. Add the fruit pieces into the batter mixture then, using a slotted spoon, remove and drain off the excess batter.
4. Deep-fry the fruit for about 2-3 minutes until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat until all the fruit has been cooked.
5. In a small pan, add sugar, sesame seeds and 2 tablespoons of groundnut oil, heat for about 5 minutes brushing down the sides occasionally with a pastry brush dipped in water, until light brown and caramelized.
6. When the caramel is made, add a few pieces of the fruit and stir gently to coat. Then quickly take them out and plunge into a bowl of ice-cold water for a few seconds to make the caramel harden.
7. In a food processor, put the frozen lychees and cream and whiz until blended into an instant ice cream.
8. On to serving dishes, place the toffee fruit and serve at once with a scoop of the ice cream.
Calories 1385 Calories from Fat 582
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 66 g101.1%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 234.9 mg9.8%
Total Carbohydrates 192 g64.1%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.5%
Sugars 121.5 g
Protein 6 g11.3%
Vitamin A 1.7% Vitamin C 14.9%
Calcium 34.1% Iron 15.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet