Basic Vanilla Ice Cream
|Half and half/Top milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. In the top bowl of a double boiler, heat milk until film forms on surface.
2. On low heat add the sugar and salt.
3. In a separate medium bowl, beat egg yolks slightly. Gradually beat in small amounts of hot milk mixture until most of it is used.
4. Return to top of double boiler; cook, over boiling water, stirring, until as smooth and thick as mayonnaise. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes. Cool custard thoroughly.
5. Stir in vanilla to taste and the heavy cream. Cover, and chill thoroughly.
6. Pour custard into freezer container and prepare for making ice cream by packing freezer with ice and coarse salt in 8-to-l proportion. Use an ice cream maker if you prefer it
7. Serve chilled