Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream
|Double cream||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
|Whole milk||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
|Egg yolks||10 Large|
|For the ripple|
|Blackcurrants/Raspberries||1 1⁄2 Pound (700 Gram)|
|Caster sugar||2 1⁄2 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
1. Into a large saucepan to make the ice cream, pour the cream and milk.
2. Cut the vanilla pods in half lengthways scraping out the seeds using the point of a knife, into the pan whisk the vanilla seeds adding the pods.
3. Let it boil and immediately turn off the heat.
4. Remove the vanilla pods and wash well.
5. Letting them dry retain them, as they can then be used to flavour sugar and subsequently future ice creams and puddings.
6. Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together until pale.
7. Whisking on pour in the milk and cream mixture.
8. Wash the pan after thoroughly combined and return the liquid to the saucepan and set over a low heat.
9. Let it cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
10. The stirring action through this custard stage must be robotic at all times.
11. Make sure not to overheat or else the egg yolks will scramble. (This can possibly be salvaged by pouring the mix through a fine sieve. If it is still grainy after sieving, you will have to start again.)
12. Take the pan off the heat and into a clean bowl pour the custard. Let it cool.
While the custard is cooling, make the raspberry or blackcurrant ripple sauce.
13. In a saucepan put the fruit with the sugar, lemon juice and 100ml water after rinsing it.
14. Let it boil and simmer rapidly for about 10 minutes until the fruit has totally collapsed.
15. Over another small pan place a sieve and add the contents in, gently pressing while stirring.
16. Returning to the heat cook till it is reduced - it should attain the consistency of cough mixture.
17. Take care to not let it to overcook or else it could get too jammy or undercook, as when frozen it would crystallize the otherwise creamy luxury.
18. Into an ice-cream machine add the cooled custard and let it churn for about 30 minutes or such that it is very thick and smooth. Spoon roughly a third of the ice cream into a lidded freezerproof container.
19. Top with generous spoonfuls of the berry sauce, then add more ice cream.
20. Carry on in loose layers till all the ice cream and sauce is used up.
21. Using a table knife swirl very lightly through the ice cream to roughly marble the sauce through the mixture.
22. Cover with a lid and freeze until solid.
23. Take out of the freezer and let it stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
24. Eat in the sun in joyful ignorance that you are dripping it all over your T-shirt.