Apple Sablee Tart With Sherry Ice Cream
|For the ice cream|
|Dry oloroso sherry||175 Milliliter|
|Double cream||300 Milliliter|
|For the sablee|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (Extra For Greasing)|
|Plain flour||175 Gram|
|Baking powder||1 Pinch|
|Caster sugar||75 Gram|
|Toasted unsalted peanuts||75 Gram|
|For the filling|
|Granny smith apples||1 Kilogram, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks|
|Caster sugar||300 Gram|
|Pine nuts||25 Gram|
|For the orange blossom cream|
|Double cream||250 Milliliter, whipped|
|Orange blossom water||3 Teaspoon (Or To Taste)|
|Pomegranate||1 (Use The Seeds)|
1. Slowly bring the sugar and Sherry to the boil, then gently simmer for 5 mins to form a syrup. Remove from the heat. Soak the gelatine sheets in cold water to soften. Shake off the excess, then stir into the Sherry syrup until completely dissolved. Beat the egg yolks until very pale, then gradually whisk in the syrup a little at a time. Whip the cream to soft peaks, then fold in.
2. Churn in an ice-cream machine, then freeze, or pour into a freezerproof container and set your freezer to fast-freeze. Freeze the ice cream for about 2 hrs or until beginning to set. Whisk well to break up the ice crystals, then freeze again. Repeat this twice more, then freeze until solid.
3. Butter a deep 20cm tart tin. Sift the flour, a pinch of salt and the baking powder into a bowl. Rub in the butter to form fine crumbs, then stir in the sugar. Gradually mix in the egg yolks to form a soft dough (you may not need all the egg), then stir in the chopped peanuts. Press into the tin and chill for 20 mins.
4. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Place a sheet of baking parchment into the pastry and fill the case with baking beans. Put a baking sheet to heat in the oven. Bake the tart case on the sheet for about 20 mins or until pale golden brown. Remove the lining and bake for 5-10 mins more to dry the base.
5. Simmer the apples with the sugar for about 10 mins or until soft, then stir in the pine nuts. When cold, spoon into the pastry case. Whip the cream to soft peaks, then flavour with orange blossom water. Swirl over the apple filling and scatter pomegranate seeds over the top. Chill for a few mins before slicing. Remove ice cream from freezer and allow to soften at room temperature. Serve a scoop of ice cream with each portion.