Hot Dog Relish
|Carrots||3 , peeled|
|Sweet red peppers||3 , cored and seeded|
|Green tomatoes||2 Quart, peeled|
|Onions||2 Quart, peeled|
|Salt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Vinegar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mixed pickling spices||2 Tablespoon|
1) Finely chop or grind all the vegetables.
1) In a bowl, place the vegetables, sprinkle with salt and allow to stand overnight.
2) Drain, transfer into a kettle, then stir in the sugar, vinegar and cayenne pepper.
3) Tie the spices in a small cheesecloth bag and add into the kettle.
4) Simmer, uncovered over a low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until thick.
5) Remove and discard the spice cheesecloth bag.
6) Ladle the 6 pints relish into hot sterilized jars and seal immediately.
7) Use the Hot Dog Relish as required.