Char Siu Honey Roasted Pork
Maltose or honey - 2 tablespoons, dissolved with a little water
For the marinade:
Soft brown sugar - 1 tablespoon
Yellow bean sauce - 1 tablespoon
Light soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
Dark soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
Hoi sin sauce - 1 tablespoon
Oyster - 1 tablespoon sauce
Brandy, whisky or rum - 2 tablespoons
Sesame oil - 1 teaspoon
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
2. To make a sauce in a pan boil the marinade and the water and drippings from the baking tin together for a few minutes, then strain into a gravy boat.
3. To prepare the pork cut the pork into strips about 1 1/2" (4cm) thick and 7-8" (18-20cm) long.
4. Marinate, covered, for at least 8-10 hours, turning occasionally.
5. To cook place a roasting or baking tin filled with about 1 pint (600ml) boiling water at the bottom in the preheated oven.
6. Take the pork strips out of the marinade and drain them well reserving the marinade.
7. Through one end of each strip, put the tip of an S-shaped hook then hang the strips on the top rack in the oven, making sure they dangle freely.
8. Roast for 10-15 minutes, then baste with the marinade, reduce the heat to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and cook for a further 8-10 minutes.
9. Remove the meat from the oven and let it cool down for 2-3 minutes.
10. Brush the strips with the maltose or honey syrup and lightly brown them under a medium hot grill for 4-5 minutes, turning once or twice.
11. Cut the meat across the grain into thin slices.
12. Serve the Roasted Pork hot or cold spooning gravy around the pork.