Honey Spice Yule Logs
|All purpose flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cardamom||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Cream for whipping||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Coffee butter cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Butter a 15x10x1-inches baking pan and use wax paper to line. Grease the paper.
3) Into a sifter, measure the flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom.
4) In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the honey till it is lukewarm. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and sugar. Stir well. Add the beaten egg and sift in the dry ingredients. Stir till a smooth batter is formed.
5) In the prepared pan, spread the batter. A thin layer will be formed.
6) Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or till the top springs right back when pressed lightly with fingertips.
7) Onto a large sheet of wax paper, invert the cake and lightly sprinkle with sugar. Peel off the wax-paper liner and discard it.
8) Crosswise cut the cake and sugared paper in half. To cut neatly and quickly, use sharp scissors.
9) Roll up both the cakes along the wax paper, jelly-roll style, starting at a 10-inch end of each cake. Allow to completely cool on a wire rack.
10) When it is time to fill the cakes, in a medium-bowl, beat the cream till it is stiff. Unroll the cakes, on at a time, and throw the wax paper away. Spread the cakes with whipped cream and roll them again. Trim the ends.
11) Use coffee butter cream to frost the sides and tops and cut each toll into 1-inch long logs.
12) With small holly sprigs cut from candied citron and candied cherries, decorate and cakes. If preferred, slivered pistachio nuts can also be used as garnish.
13) Serve chilled.