Baked Mussels with Herbs
|Rock salt/Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Mussels||3 Pound, shucked, with the deeper half shell of each reserved|
|Shallots||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Dried tarragon||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft fresh bread crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), breadcrumbs made from homemade bread pulverized in a blender or finely shredded with a fork|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, cut into small bits|
|Lemon||1 , cut lengthwise into quarters|
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2) Fill a large shallow roasting pan or jelly-roll pan evenly with rock salt (or coarse salt) to a depth of 1/2 inch.
3) Under cold running water, scrub the reserved mussel shells thoroughly, then pat them dry.
4) Line them in a single layer in the salt-lined pan.
5) In a bowl, mix the shallots, parsley, tarragon, garlic and pepper well. Put the bread crumbs and toss thoroughly together.
6) Scatter the top of the mussels evenly with the crumb-and-herb mixture, covering the mussels completely.
7) With bits of butter, dot each mussel and bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes.
8) Keep the pan under a preheated broiler (about 3 inches from the heat) for a minute to brown the crumbs lightly.
9) Keep the mussels on a large heated platter, decorate with lemon and serve at once.
Calories 408 Calories from Fat 129
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22.3%
Saturated Fat 5.5 g27.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 111.4 mg37.1%
Sodium 1172.2 mg48.8%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.4%
Sugars 0.8 g
Protein 43 g85.6%
Vitamin A 30.2% Vitamin C 83.2%
Calcium 15.6% Iron 85.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet