Three Mushroom Soup With Port And Tarragon
|Dried porcini mushrooms||1 Ounce, rinsed in cold water (1 Cup)|
|Chicken stock/Canned low sodium broth||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|Shallot||1 Medium, minced|
|Shiitake mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, stems discarded, caps sliced into 1/4-inch strips|
|White button mushroom||1⁄2 Pound, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Port||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Vintage / Tawny)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Creme fraiche||6 Tablespoon (For Serving)|
|Snipped chives||3 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. In a large nonreactive saucepan, combine the dried porcini mushrooms and 8 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer, partially covered, for 40 minutes. Pour the broth through a cheesecloth-lined strainer. Rinse the mushrooms in the strainer to remove any grit. Cut off any tough stems. Coarsely chop the mushrooms; set the mushrooms and broth aside.
2. Wipe out the saucepan. Add the butter and melt over moderate heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute.
3. Add the sliced shiitake and white button mushrooms and increase the heat to moderately high. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have exuded most of their liquid, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to moderately low and sprinkle the mushrooms with the flour. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the saucepan with a wooden spoon. Gradually whisk in the reserved mushroom broth and the port. Add the reserved porcini and the tarragon and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (The can be prepared to this point up to 2 days ahead. Reheat over moderately low heat before serving.)
5. Serve the soup piping hot, garnished with the creme fraiche and a sprinkling of chives.
Calories 274 Calories from Fat 129
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.4%
Saturated Fat 6.2 g31.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 31.1 mg10.4%
Sodium 527.8 mg22%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.3%
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 11 g22.7%
Vitamin A 13.1% Vitamin C 10.8%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet