Mackerel with Lime and Coriander
|Mackerel/Trout /sardines||4 Small|
|Ground coriander||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander sprig||4 , chopped finely|
|Red chili||1 , deseeded and chopped|
|Lime||1 , grated rind and juiced|
|Sunflower oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Lime||1 , sliced (To Garnish)|
1. To make the chilli flowers (if using), cut the tip of a small chilli lengthwise into thin strips, leaving the chilli intact at the stem end. Remove the seeds and place in iced water until curled.
2. Clean and gut the mackerel, removing the heads if preferred. Place on a chopping board.
3. Sprinkle the fish with the ground spices and salt and pepper to taste. Place a sprig of coriander (cilantro) inside the cavity of each fish.
4. Mix together the chopped coriander (cilantro), chilli, lime rind and juice and the oil in a small bowl. Brush the mixture liberally over the fish.
5. Place the fish in a hinged rack if you have one. Barbecue (grill) the fish over hot coals for 3-4 minutes on each side, turning once. Brush frequently with the remaining basting mixture.
6. Garnish with lime slices and chilli flowers, if using, and serve with salad leaves.