Larded Herb Pot Roast
|Beef roast||4 Pound|
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Ground sage||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
1) Cut gashes in beef about 3 inches long and 1 inch deep with a sharp knife.
2) Slice salt pork into 5 or 6 strips.
3) Mix together herbs and use this mixture to coat both sides of salt-pork strips.
4) Fill the gashes in beef with these strips and tie with toothpicks.
5) Coat the beef with flour.
6) In a heavy kettle, brown the meat on all sides in fat and season with salt and pepper.
7) Add in water after placing a trivet in bottom of kettle under meat.
8) Simmer, covered for 4 to 4 1/2 hours and if necessary add more water and remove meat from heat.
9) If desired, use a flour-and water paste to thicken liquid and add salt and pepper to taste.
10) Serve meat with hot gravy.