Cold Chicken and Asparagus with Lemon Tarragon Vinaigrette
|Chicken breast halves||1 Pound, skinned and boned|
|Asparagus spears||20 , bottom ends trimmed and peeled 1/3 of the way up the stalks|
|Safflower oil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Red pepper||1⁄2 , julienned|
|For lemon tarragon vinaigrette|
|Chopped shallot/2 scallions, finely chopped||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Fresh thyme/1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh tarragon/1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Safflower oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. To make the vinaigrette, use a medium glass bowl
2. Combine the shallots or scallions, lemon juice, thyme and tarragon and allow it to stand for 10 minutes.
3. Whisk in the safflower oil, olive oil, garlic, parsley, sugar and pepper.
4. Let it to stand for another 10 minutes or more.
5. Season the breasts with the salt and pepper.
6. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, over very low heat, heat the safflower oil.
7. In the skillet, place the breasts and cover them with a heavy plate to weight them down and retain their juices.
8. Let the breasts cook on one side for 5 minutes then turn and cook for another 3-4 minutes. There should be no visible pink along the edges of the meat.
9. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Place in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes or until ready to serve.
10. In the same skillet,
11. Arrange the asparagus stalks and cover with 1/4 cup of water. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes or until the asparagus are tender but still crisp.
12. Drain and refresh the blanched asparagus under cold water. Chill until required.
13. Slice the cold chicken breasts along the diagonal.
14. Arrange each sliced breast on an individual serving plate. Arrange five asparagus spears over each breast.
15. Spoon the vinaigrette over the chicken and asparagus. Garnish with the red pepper.