Cool weather means you need a hearty filling soup from Canada's north country... and this French Canadian Yellow Split Pea Soup hits the spot.
3 Cup (48 tbs), soaked (yellow)
8 Cup (128 tbs)
3 , chop
2 , dice
3 , chop (ribs)
2 Clove (10 gm), mince
1. Place a heavy stock pot on medium high temperature for about a minute. Add bacon, and sauté until brown but not too crispy.
2. Reduce the temperature and insert onion and celery. Mix and cook until soften.
3. Then , add ham bone, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, sugar, yellow split peas, chicken stock, and carrots. Bring it to boil.
4. Then, reduce the heat and allow it to simmer, stirring occasionally for about 2 hours.
5. In the last few minutes of simmering, take the ham bone out, cut off the meat and put it right back into the pot.
6. Add vinegar and stir well.
7. Serve soup hot with dinner loaf.
You can add a little more stock or water, if you find your soup dry.