Ham and Leek Au Gratin
|Leeks||8 Large, trimmed|
|Cooked ham slice||8 , thin|
|Cheese sauce||1 Pint|
|For the topping:|
|Grated cheddar cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||2 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly coat the ovenproof dish with butter.
3) In a pan, cook the leeks in boiling salted water for 20 minutes or until tender.
4) Pour off the water and dry using paper towels.
5) Wrap a slice of ham around each leek.
6) Place leeks in the ovenproof dish or foil.
7) Spoon the cheese sauce over the leeks.
8) Dredge cheese and breadcrumbs over the sauce.
9) Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until lightly browned on the top and well heated and crisp.
10) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Wrap the cooled unbaked leeks mixture dish with the foil.
11) Seal, label and freeze.
12) Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
13) If using the frozen leeks mixture, thaw at room temperature for 4 hours.
14) Reheat in a preheated moderately hot oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
15) Serve as mentioned in step 12.