Ham and Cheese Roulade
|For ham filling|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Swiss cheese/Gruyere cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Ham||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced, cooked|
|Pimiento||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Mushrooms||3 , sliced lengthwise|
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Grease a 15 1/2-by-10 1/2-by-l-inch jelly-roll pan and then cover it with waxed paper. Cover the waxed paper with grease and set aside till required
3. In a medium saucepan, place the ¼ cup of butter and melt it. Remove the pan from heat and add the ¼ cup of flour, mustard, salt and 1/8 pepper to the pan and mix well till smooth
4. Gradually add 1-1/2 cup of milk and stir till smooth. Return the pan to active heat and gently bring to boiling.
5. Reduce heat when it starts boiling and add the cheese, ham, pimiento and parsley. Over low heat, stir the mixture well till the cheese melts. Remove from heat, cover and set aside
6. In a separate bowl, place the egg whites and in another bowl, place the egg yolks.
7. In another medium saucepan, melt ¼ cup of butter and place on heat.
8. Add the flour, salt, and pepper to the pan and mix well
9. Gradually stir in milk and bring this to the boil while stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer while stirring constantly till the mixture becomes thick. This will take 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly
10. With a wire whisk, gently beat in the egg yolks into the flour mixture.
11. Beat the egg whites in another bowl to form a thick puffy mixture. Fold this egg yolk mixture into the egg whites and then tip it into the greased pan. Smooth the top evenly
12. Bake this roulade for 25 minutes until the top is golden brown and set. Loosen the edge of the roulade with a spatula and then invert the pan. Lift off the jelly-roll pan and then peel off the waxed paper.
13. Stir the filling and then spoon this filling over the roulade. Roll up the roulade using the foil paper as a guide.
14. Turn into a serving platter and keep warm
15. In a small skillet, heat the butter and add the mushrooms to the pan. Cook this till tender. It will take 3 minutes
16. Serve the rolled up roulade with the sautÃ©ed mushrooms and a fresh salad.