Ginger-Glazed Baked Ham
|Bone in ham butt||8 Pound (Fully Cooked)|
|Unsifted all purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Ground cloves||1 Tablespoon|
|Ginger ale||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), firmly packed|
|Orange peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Wipe ham with damp paper towels.
3. In large bowl, mix well combining flour, ginger, cloves and salt.
4. Gradually add 2 cups cold water, mixing well with fork.
5. On lightly floured board, mold dough around top and side of ham until they are evenly covered.
6. In shallow roasting pan place on rack and insert meat thermometer in center away from bone.
7. Bake until internal temperature is 1OOF for about 2 hours.
To make Glaze:
8. In small saucepan bring to boiling combining ingredients with stirring.
9. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, 40 to 60 minutes to get 1 cup glaze.
10. Remove pastry covering from ham and discard.
11. With sharp knife, lift off skin.
12. In outside fat layer, make diagonal cuts, 1-1/4 inches apart, to form a diamond pattern.
13. Stud center of each diamond with a whole clove.
14. Brush ham well with glaze bake 25 minutes, brushing twice more.
15. Serve with garnish as desired.