Baked Ham With Beer And Sultana Sauce
|Ham||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salted ham||4 Kilogram (Uncooked)|
|Onions||3 Medium, quartered (Roots Removed)|
|Carrots||3 Medium, sliced|
|Celery stalks||2 , sliced|
|Brown sugar||300 Gram, crushed|
|Mustard powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Pineapple slices||1 Can (10 oz), drained (1 Can)|
|Canned cherries||200 Gram|
|Basting sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Pineapple liquid||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Malt vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cooking liquid||2 Cup (32 tbs) (From Ham)|
|Beer||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar/Honey||100 Gram|
|Malt vinegar||4 Tablespoon|
|Beer||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
1. Scour ham and clean thoroughly.
2. Soak for 1 hour in cold water to cover.
3. Drain and discard water.
4. In a pan place ham and cover it with fresh water and add to it all vegetables and spices.
5. Place pan over high heat and bring to a boil,
6. Reduce the flame and simmer till half done.
7. Pour in the beer and continue cooking till tender. A skewer pierced through the thickest part of the leg should go through to the bone .
8. Remove from heat and leave ham soaked in the liquid overnight, to absorb the flavors.
9. Strain liquid and reserve 2 cups for basting sauce. Discard the rest.
10. Preheat oven to 360 degee F and prepare a roasting pan.
11. Carefully eliminate the thick rind from the ham, cut off excess fat, keeping just about a 1/2" thick layer of fat on the ham.
12. Score the fat using a sharp knife in a diamond-shaped pattern, without cutting right down to the meat.
13. Blend brown sugar with mustard for topping and rub it all over the fat.
14. Mix all ingredients for basting sauce.
15. Put ham in prepared roasting pan along with 1 cup of basting sauce.
16. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
17. Remove ham from oven and arrange pineapple slices on top, slightly overlapping and securing with toothpicks.
18. Fix cloves into ham in the exposed areas and in the centre of the scored diamonds.
19. Cover the ham with remaining basting sauce and return to the oven.
20. Bake for 30 minutes, basting every 15 minutes.
21. Remove and let rest for 15 minutes.
22. Place on a serving platter and serve warm or cold.
23. Carve using a steak knife, into thin slices.
Make sure that you do not overcook the ham when boiling.
Continue topping up with hot water when boiling, to ensure that the ham is completely covered throughout the cooking process.