Stuffed Fresh Ham
|Whole ham||1 (Fresh)|
|Diced celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Crumbled dry corn bread||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Slightly Dry)|
|Crumbled dry baking powder biscuits||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Slightly Dry)|
|Diced pimento||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Peach jam||12 Ounce (1 Jar)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Prepared mustard||1 Teaspoon|
1. Ask your meatman to trim skin from ham, then remove leg bone to make a pocket for the stuffing. Lightly score fat into diamonds or squares.
2. Saute celery and onion in butter or margarine till soft in medium-size skillet, then combine with the crumbled corn bread and biscuits, pimiento, salt, thyme and egg in a medium-size bowl and toss until evenly moist. Stuff into pocket in ham; lace opening together with skewers and string.
3. Place ham, fat-side up, on a rack in a shallow baking pan; do not add water or cover pan. If using a meat thermometer, insert it into thickest part of the ham without touching the stuffing.
4. Roast in slow oven (325°) for about 3 hours.
5. While meat cooks, combine peach jam, lemon juice and mustard in a small saucepan; heat, stirring constantly, to boiling; brush half over ham.
6. Continue roasting, brushing two or three more times with remaining peach mixture, 30 minutes, or until richly glazed and thermometer registers 170°.
7. Remove to a heated serving platter; let stand 15 to 20 minutes for easier slicing. Garnish platter with watercress, if you wish. Carve the meat into 1/4 inch-thick slices.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3998 Calories from Fat 953
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 106 g163.6%
Saturated Fat 63.4 g316.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 557.2 mg185.7%
Sodium 8478 mg353.3%
Total Carbohydrates 662 g220.5%
Dietary Fiber 24.7 g98.7%
Sugars 277.5 g
Protein 110 g220.5%
Vitamin A 45.2% Vitamin C 46.6%
Calcium 41.5% Iron 83.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet