Having homemade frozen appetizers in the freezer can be a host's secret weapon when guests drop by. Michele McAdoo for the Kraft Kitchens shares a simple and delicious recipe for cheese and ham spirals that are easy to make and freeze beautifully.
"1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Beat egg and water until blended; set aside.
3. Unfold pastry on lightly floured surface.
4. Roll into 14x10-inch rectangle; cut in half lengthwise.
5. Brush both pastry halves lightly with some of the egg mixture.
6. Sprinkle 3 Tbsp. of the cheese and the pepper evenly over one of the pastry pieces; cover with ham slices.
7. Place remaining pastry piece, egg-side down, over ham.
8. Roll gently with rolling pin to seal.
9. Brush with additional egg mixture.
Roll up tightly to form a 14-inch log, starting at one of the long sides.
10. Cut log crosswise into 24 slices.
11. Place, cut-sides down, on parchment-covered baking sheet.
12. Brush with remaining egg mixture; sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. cheese.
Bake 12 to 14 min. or until golden brown.
13. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- To make ahead, prepare as directed except for baking. Wrap securely; freeze. When ready to serve, defrost; slice and bake as directed.
- Prepare as directed, using KRAFT Reduced Fat Parmesan Style Grated Topping and OSCAR MAYER 96% Fat Free Ham."