Creamed Smoked Haddock
|Haddock||2 Pound, smoked|
|Smoked haddock||2 Pound (to make 4 cups cooked and flaked fish)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed to cover fish)|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Ground nutmeg||To Taste|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Small mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, stemmed, halved or quartered|
1) In a large bowl, soak the haddok in milk for 1 hour.
2) In a heavy pan, bring the haddock and milk to a slow boil.
3) Allow to cool, then drain, skin and bone the fish, reserving 2 cups milk.
4) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
5) In a heavy pan, melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook gently for 2 to 3 minutes; remove from the heat.
6) Heat 2 cups of the reserved milk and pour it into the roux in the pan.
7) Add the nutmeg, whisk until smooth and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring continuously.
8) Adjust the seasoning with freshly ground pepper and salt, if needed; then allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate.
9) Stir the mushrooms into the sauce and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. 10) Stir the sauce into the flaked fish and turn into an ovenproof dish.
11) Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until bubbling.
12) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.
Calories 644 Calories from Fat 137
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.8%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 333.7 mg111.2%
Sodium 1917 mg79.9%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.5%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 107 g213.5%
Vitamin A 12.7% Vitamin C 4.1%
Calcium 26% Iron 37.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet