Watermelon & Arugula Salad
|Watermelon||1 Small (or 1/2 Large)|
|Arugula||2 Bunch (200 gm)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Chili oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Parmesan cheese wedge||1 Small|
|Mint leaves||12 Large|
1. Cut the watermelon in wedges as shown in the photo making 6 triangles. Cover them with plastic wrap & keep cold until we're ready to finish the dish.
2. Put a 2 liter pot of water up to boil.
3. Remove the top & cut out the green core of the tomatoes. Make a small 'X' into the skin on the underside of each tomato (cutting only through the skin).
4. Using the remaining watermelon, chop-up 300 grams and puree it in a blender.
5. Place the puree on the stove over medium heat until it reduces by 2/3. Remove and add the lemon juice, honey and chili oil to your taste. Season with salt/pepper and put it in the frigo with the watermelon.
6. When the water boils, toss in the tomatoes and fill a large bowl with 1 liter of cold tap water.
7. Leave the tomatoes in the hot water for 10-20 seconds until the skin begins to loosen, then transfer to the cold water.
8. You should now be able to peel, seed and chop the tomatoes as shown in the photo.
9. Peel and seed the cucumber & chop into the same size as the tomatoes. Chop the mint and combine half with the tomatoes, cucumbers and watermelon reduction.
10. Wash and dry the arugula then toss it with an amount of olive oil, Balsamic vinegar and salt/fresh pepper to suit your taste.
11. Arrange the watermelon on the plates as to create a sort of cage in which to mound-up the arugula.
12. Spoon the tomato/cucumber mix around the plate and shave the parmesan cheese randomly over the plate. Finish with fresh ground black pepper.