This is a nutritious and wonderfully satisfying vegetarian dish. The name ‘yiyantes’ comes from the Greek word for giant (‘giant beans’). Yiyantes can be cooked a couple of different ways, and in this recipe Eva shows us how to prepare these giant beans in tomato juice baked in the oven (plaki-style).
Large lima beans
3 Cup (48 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1 Medium, chopped finely
4 Clove (20 gm), diced finely
1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely
2 Medium, crushed
1) Wash lima beans add enough water to soak. Keep it overnight.
2) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3) In a pot pour water to boil and add beans Blanche them for 5 minutes.
4) Simultaneously in a large pan, add olive oil and sauté the onions. Add garlic, carrots, salt and pepper.
5) Remove beans from the heat and drain the water.
6) In a large pan place the beans, add the tomato sauce, 4 cups of water and mix well.
7) Cook beans in the oven for about an hour at 350 degrees.
8) Serve as a side dish or as the main meal.
Nutritious and wonderfully satisfying, this vegetarian dish is indeed filling. Giant beans can be cooked a couple of different ways, and in this recipe Eva shows us how to prepare these giant beans in tomato juice baked in the oven (plaki-style).