Pastitsio - Lynn's Greek Meat and Pasta Casserole
|Elbow macaroni||7 Ounce|
|Ground beef/Ground lamb||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Cooking spray||2 Dash|
|For bechamel sauce|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Eggs||1 , beaten|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a casserole pan.
2. In a pot of boiling water add in the macaroni and cook according to package directions.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
4. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
5. Stir in the tomato sauce, oregano, pepper and cinnamon, heat through.
6. Drain macaroni; place half of macaroni in a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle parmesan and layer with meat mixture and remaining macaroni. Set aside.
7. For Béchamel Sauce – In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add in the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
8. Remove the sauce from heat. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
9. Remove from heat; stir in remaining cheese. Pour sauce over macaroni.
10. Bake in oven uncovered for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
11. Serve Pastitsio with red wine and enjoy!
Calories 792 Calories from Fat 413
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.9%
Saturated Fat 19.9 g99.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 169.8 mg56.6%
Sodium 484.4 mg20.2%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.8%
Sugars 11.6 g
Protein 35 g69.1%
Vitamin A 15.6% Vitamin C 21%
Calcium 21.6% Iron 19.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet