Wonderful, authentic Sephardic style fillo triangles filled with spinach and feta cheese.
1 Pound, chop
6 Tablespoon, grated (4 tablespoons for filling + 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top)
1 Cup (16 tbs), crumbled
1. With a knife, cut 1/3 of the filo dough. Keep it aside.
2. Wash baby spinach thoroughly. Lay them on a cookie sheet, and allow it to dry overnight. Chop it roughly and keep aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degree.
4. In the bowl, take spinach, add egg, pepper, parmesan, and feta to it. Mix it well.
5. Take filo dough, unwrap it, and lay as many strips on the counter top. Place strips with narrow end towards you.
6. Apply olive oil on the strips. Fold one long edge about 1 inch above to make the strip narrow, and firm on one side.
7. Place about 1 tablespoon of spinach mixture on the narrow end of the strip close to you.
8. Now, fold and bring the lower right corner over the filling at an angle.
9. Then roll as shown in the video. If the filo strip cracks while rolling, simply pick it up, place it on the strip and roll it again.
10. Line a cookie sheet with parchment a paper, and place rolled spanokopita on it.
11. Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle cheese on top of it
12. Pop it in oven, and bake for 10 minutes or until they are nice golden brown. Turn the tray once in the middle of baking.
13. Serve it hot with tomato sauce.
You can make any kind of filling as per your choice.